Girls Powerlift Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Powerlift Meet

Shia Long, Author

The girls powerlifting team went to Hitchcock this past Thursday to compete in the first meet of the season . Powerlifting is a strength sport that contains lifting  maximal weight in squat , bench press , and dead lift .  Each lifter gets three total lifts with the highest in each, being the total that determines the winner.  Lifters are broken down into weight classes to make the competition equal.

In 1st place Lady Exporter Lataevia Thomas , 12 , won the 220 weight class.  Thomas’ best squat was 380 pounds , bench was 175 pounds , and her dead lift at 350 pounds . This all came out to 865 pounds total . Thomas is a recurring champ , going all the way to State last year , coming in at 11th place .

Camren Miller , 12 , lifted a combined weight of 470 pounds , Belinda Zepeda , 11 , lifted a combined total of 480 pounds , both girls coming in at 6th place . Erika Kaale , 10 , then lifted a total weight of 415 pounds coming in at 8th place .

“Powerlifitng creates a certain excitement with females , because they see data at the meets that proves they’re getting stronger and as a coach I love seeing the smiles when they do something that they thought they couldn’t do .” Scott Smithey , Powerlifting Coach .

About the Writer
Shia Long, Author

My name is Shia Long , born December 8th of 2002 .

I am currently a Sophomore at Brazosport High School , but I am working to graduate early with the...